How to setup wordpress hosting on Siteground
If you’re planning on using WordPress.org for your new website, one thing that you will need to think about beforehand is hosting. In this article I will take you through the steps to set up your WordPress hosting with Siteground, my preferred hosting provider.
What is hosting?
The hosting provider for your WordPress website, is the space where all the actual files that keep your site running are stored. There are lots of different hosting options, but the company that I use and recommend to my clients is Siteground. They are not the cheapest option available, but their customer service is excellent, they’re always really helpful if I run into an issue, and it’s solved very quickly. Which is what you want, there’s nothing worse than having to wait hours or even days for someone to get back to you when there’s an issue with your site.
Setting up your hosting account with Siteground
It’s really easy to get started with WordPress, but before you do, you need to set up your hosting. Which again is a really simple process, just follow these steps:
- Visit Siteground* and click WordPress hosting
- Choose your tier – there are several options, but if you’re just starting out and are only needing one website then the StartUp option is perfect for you.
- You then choose your payment option – you can choose from monthly, 12 months, 24 months or 36 months – the best value option is to purchase 12 months up front.
- On set up you can either purchase a domain name if you haven’t already got one, or you can link one that you own.
- That is it – you now have your hosting set up with Siteground!
How To add WordPress to Siteground
Once you’ve got the initial set up, you want to install WordPress onto your site. Another really straightforward process.
- From your Siteground dashboard go to websites, then on your site name select site tools
- You’ll be taken to a new dashboard, that has a column down the left hand side – in that column select WordPress and then Install & ManageIn the main area of the dashboard click select underneath the WordPress logo
- In the domain drop down select your domain name (mywebsite.com)
- Enter a username, email and password (these will be what is used to log in to your website, so keep note of them)
- If it’s not already selected, you can tick the option Install with WordPress Starter Then click install
- After the installation is complete look in the section underneath titled Manage Installations – you will see your domain name and to the right hand side a little arrow that when you hover over says Log In to Admin panel – click this and you will be taken to the backend of your website.
Hurrah – you’ve set up your hosting and WordPress site!
Do a happy dance, and then get ready to think about the next step – picking a theme and creating your actual website!
*This article contains an affiliate link, meaning if you choose to purchase through this link, I would recieve a smll commision at no extra cost to you. I only ever promote tools I use and recommend, and this is defo one of them.
join the aligned brand collective
If you’re looking for a little bit of extra support in designing for your business, I would love to invite you to join the new Facebook community.
Design feedback, tips and tutorials plus I adore to make new connections. See you inside!